Paul has a record of action. But what of the future …Here Paul Johnston outlines some of things he wants to do in Aberdeenshire. These are not promises – he cannot deliver them alone – Paul will try and work with others to get as many of these ideas into action as possible.
- Set up a commission to establish
new ‘mutual’ investment funds to assist
local emerging business. Supporting
new jobs in new industries and sectors.
Creating a Credit Union for north east
- Policy to design and build a ‘House
for Aberdeenshire’ which is housing
design that is affordable. The plans
would be available for use by any
resident for self build and housing
- New recovery and re-use centres to
benefit social enterprises with the
reuse of materials which would have
been waste. This creates more jobs
- Creation of a centre for hard to
recycle materials (CHARM) in
Aberdeenshire, taking those materials
& items that do not need to go to
landfill – but are not part of our current
- More materials recycled. Finding
new ways to reduce waste.
- Continue to work towards the
re-opening of a rail link to Ellon (but
keeping a walking and cycling route as
- Take all opportunities to reduce
rural verge heights to promote routes
and paths to encourage walking/cycling
on quieter roads.
- More support for ‘active travel’ and
public transport to reduce congestion,
improve access for disadvantaged
groups and improve healthy
- Improve verge maintenance at road
junctions for safety.
- Investigate average speed cameras
for the A947
- Permit communities to acquire their
own speed detector signs for our
villages and towns.
- Implement stronger speed limits in
rural villages to improve road safety.
- 20mph limits on through roads in all
villages where the road is narrow and
has no pavements.
- Reform and strengthening of our Community
civic life, with stronger representative
community Councils in partnership with
Aberdeenshire. Creating and enhancing our
- More support for community enterprise
initiatives creating local job and training
opportunities or initiatives for environmental
- Develop a policy to prefer development sites
that can demonstrate social as well as
environmental sustainability. We will look for
agreements between developers and
- Provide help for more co-operative efforts for
home insulation/improvement for energy
alongside Council house contracts. We have to
tackle climate change house by house.
- Support the creation of more co-operative
and social enterprises within Aberdeenshire to
deliver resilient solutions for care and other social
needs such as childcare. This can create better
jobs in the social care sector.
- A council staff and workforce change to
improve working conditions and improve the
‘engagement’ and ways of working with our
community groups and our public generally.
Better local planning.
- S i m p l e r neighbourhood plans
with more community control of making
better places to live and work.
- Paul has a record of action. But what of the future …Here Paul Johnston outlines some of things he wants to do in Aberdeenshire. These
are not promises – he cannot deliver them alone – Paul will try and work with others to get as many of these ideas into action as possible..
Paul JOHNSTON – INDEPENDENT